Wednesday, May 12, 2010

hula girls, farmers markets, and snorkeling!

We tried out the church by our soon to be home on Sunday. The people there were really nice. A little awkward because everyone was a hugger but very warm and welcoming. For mother's day instead of mother's wearing corsages, they were presented with leis. I didn't see many people our age but I might try out a women's Bible study next week when I live a little closer and might be able to hitch a ride. We even had a young girl do a beautiful hula dance during service. Made me wish I had a daughter who could learn to hula. Mother's day is becoming a little bittersweet as I start to question whether or not I'll ever experience motherhood.

After church, we checked out a farmers market on North Shore. We only had a little bit of time before it closed so we had just enough time for me to get an awesome banana, strawberry and nutella crepe made by French men. Tim opted for the raw sugar cane...it was gross. Grabbed some lunch and headed to the beach for some snorkeling. We only had our regular swim goggles so we swam around, saw some fishes and swam with the turtles. Later on our friends let us borrow their gear and we got to go out again for round 2.

We stopped at a beach where sea turtles are known to rest and sun bathe. There was only one on the beach that day but it was neat to see it up close. There are volunteers there that rope off the area around a turtle so that people don't get too close and don't touch or disturb the turtles. Oddly enough, I didn't have my camera on me.

We finished off the day with a stop at Matsumoto's for some shave ice. Ice cream topped with azuki beans topped with a snow cone...could have added some condensed milk on top but decided to save that for next time. It was a delicious end to a wonderful day.

On Monday, Marissa took me to check out another beach. This one was nice and wavy. We got to jump off the rocks and float around on our noodles. Then as we laid out on the beach, these guys started singing and playing the ukelele. What a wonderful way to spend a Monday!

Now it's back to real life trying to get everything settled!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Cynthia! I will be praying for you! Glad to know you are settling in ok =)

    ReplyDelete