Monday, February 20, 2012

Nesting

So I never understood this phenomenon of nesting. I understand getting ready for the baby, but not the increased OCD tendencies. It started with me wanting to make sure I get more chores done every day. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love doing housework...or avoiding it at all cost. The first few days went pretty well. I got everything done before noon including walking the dogs and prepping for dinner. Then I struggled for a few days and thought, wow that was fast. Last week went pretty well. I got everything done, just not on the right days. I also focused more on meals and making cookies. Then came yesterday.

It started out as a normal day of me checking to make sure my neighbor, who had texted me while I was sleeping to ask me to drive her to the ER, was alive. I totally missed her text! She was alive, thank goodness. Then I began my sitting around and doing nothing. My baby shower is on Saturday so I had to make sure the registry was all set. It turned out that I had changed my mind on just about everything and spent hours redoing it. Then I started scouring Craigslist to see what I could get from there. I realized the last day of the President's Day sale at Babies R Us was today and my friend had given me some pretty good coupons. Like a crazy couponer, I started writing down all the deals I could get crosschecking with Amazon for prices. I came up with a list of about 10 things I was going to buy.

Shiggy was doing something in the kitchen and asked for a small plastic container so I opened up the food storage cabinet and everything fell out, including the shelf. What better time to reorganize it. So I reorganized the kitchen cabinets. I found some stuff that belonged in the laundry room and decided to reorganize that as well. Then there was the storage room. Shiggy kept asking me what I was doing and why I was doing it right then. I didn't have a valid reason other than it needed to be done.

Shiggy had to wake up at 2AM for a formation this morning so he went to sleep super early last night. I finished up my shopping list and headed to bed at 10:30. I was tired but I couldn't make my mind stop racing. I also got up to pee 3 times in the course of 2 hours. I finally gave up a little after midnight and came back downstairs. I decided to research nursery furniture. I was trying to figure out the best deals. I didn't end up going to bed until 4AM. I was exhausted but as soon as my head hit the pillow I thought...I have a lot of gifts to make this week. Two of the girls in my coffee are having babies in March. One of them is having her shower on the same day as mine. I decided I was going to make each of them an embroidered onesie, a burp cloth, a taggie blanket and a little tote to put them in. Then my mind went to how Keri made her taggie with the crinkly stuff in the middle so I googled that. I found the most popular material was cellophane so I had to find a place that sold cellophane. But wait...don't I have cellophane bags somewhere in the house? I did and at 5AM, I found them. I got to the point where I could barely function and fell asleep around 5:30 after the baby freaked me out by moving across my belly for about 15 mins. Kicking I enjoy, feeling limbs stretch from one side to the other makes me think of aliens in my tummy.

I got up at 7:30 to walk the dogs and headed to Babies R Us with a friend. I realized prices at the store here are way more expensive then on-line. My 20% off coupons that I thought were going to be a great deal ended up making the price the same as the regular price on-line. So disappointing. It was also the last day of the sale so the shelves were pretty much empty. I am set with diapers for what I believed were months but my friend kindly brought me back to reality and let me know it would probably only last a couple of weeks. No great deals today but made my second substantial baby purchase.

Now I'm back to avoiding housework and feeling like I need a nap. I do have to get to the nursery. It's the only room that hasn't been touched since the week we moved in. The designated junk room. I have 3 more months! I'm also trying to teach myself to sew, embroider and crochet. Looking at cake decorating classes in April as well since my last class didn't quite work out. I feel like there's so much I want to do before I'm cleaning up more barf and poop than I already do! But first, a nap!

1 comment:

  1. Well hello domestic diva! You're supposed to be resting....while you can....

    ReplyDelete